Jun 30, 2014

My reflection on MM4: Building Community in Online and Blending Learning Environments


I have created the following artifact for this presentation:



I have used Read and Write for Google Help Text
The session was presented by Dr. Jackie Gerstein on Sunday, June 29 2014 - I watched the recording on http://www.wiziq.com/class/#

I find the topic of interest, and the presentation to have been quite good.

Dr. Jackie Gerstein’ session on MM4 was certainly an engaging class. I watched the recording, so I missed taking part in the different activities the presenter asked participants to carry out.

The session was indeed far from being a passive one for those who attended it and wanted to make the most out of it. Dr. Jackie Gerstein shared what she considers the meaning of being a connected educator, and did it by example rather than by just giving out definitions. Such an educator is one that takes an active role, creates and shares content, and at the same time learns from others as a result of  this interaction. The online class was an example of a way she  does this: participants interacted in the chat, and the presenter related to thir input. She also “took” participants to different sites that either provided information, or asked them to do something and share, or both. It was time well spent.

Here are some points I found of special interest:
1. The importance of creating a positive digital presence / reputation.
2. The importance of using different channels to be in touch with educators interested in technology as I am: Twitter, Blogs and the like.
3. The idea of using Twitter in my teaching. Although I do not use it very much, the presenter got me interested in checking the possibilities of using Twitter with my English as Foreign Language pupils

No comments:

Post a Comment